Friday, January 19, 2007

Restaurant Week Winter 2007

Last week was Restaurant Week here in Washington DC. Restaurant Week is a semiannual event usually occurring in January and August. It is a really great chance to go to some wonderful (but other outrageously expensive) restaurants for “cheap.” You get a 3-course meal for $20.07 at lunch and $30.07 at dinner. Of course you have to pay for drinks, tax, and tip, but if you pick the right restaurant it is totally worth it.

The winter week usually falls around my sister Anna’s birthday (January 10th), so this year on her birthday we (me, Anna, her boyfriend Trevor, and my parents) went to Willow in Arlington. The service was somewhat lackluster, but the food was pretty good and the portions were by far the biggest. I had the following:
  • Appetizer = Butternut Squash Bisque
  • Entrée = Fried Chicken with Mashed Potatoes, Swiss Chard and Spicy Rosemary Dipping Sauce
  • Dessert = Pear and Hazelnut Crumble with Danish Cream Ice Cream

On Saturday, I went to Charlie Palmer Steak in Washington DC with Anna and Trevor. This place is totally swank and we definitely felt a little out of our league, but then that’s probably what they expect during Restaurant Week. There were legions of different levels of servers. One to take our order, one two bring us our food, one to take it away. It was a little much and our “sous” waiter was actually better than our real waiter. I was pleased that they noted the note I made on my OpenTable reservation about it being a celebration for Anna’s birthday. They included a little strawberry with a candle stuck in it on her dessert plate. Willow was not so thoughtful. The food was great, but then I wouldn’t have expected anything less of a place that offers an entrée on their a la carte menu called “Porterhouse for 2” costing $82! I had the following:
  • Appetizer = Potato and Leek Chowder
  • Entrée = Pan Seared Halibut with Maryland Lump Crab Risotto and Beurre Blanc Sauce
  • Dessert = Classic New York Style Cheesecake with Citrus Scented Blueberry Compote

On Sunday, I went to Colvin Run Tavern in Tyson’s Corner with my coworkers Jeff, Kellie, Therese and Hadley. We had all sorts of things to celebrate; Hadley and Kellie’s birthdays, Therese’s recent promotion and my graduation in December. I had to been Colvin Run twice before and knew it would be a good bet to satisfy everyone. I don’t think it disappointed this time. We all split a great bottle of wine (Riesling Kabinett, Weingut Rudolf Eilenz, Ayler Kupp, Mosel, 2005) and had a great time talking. I had the following:

  • Appetizer = Salmon Tartar, Grav Lax and Herbed Crème fraîche, Cucumber and Tomato Salad
  • Entrée = Roast Pork Loin with Apples, Red Cabbage, and Spoonbread
  • Dessert = Warm Chocolate Soufflé with Vanilla Ice Cream

2 comments:

Mr. Shife said...

All that food looks pretty good, but I still think I would take that grilled cheese recipe you posted.

Anonymous said...

We went to the Willow with Arnie and Neva, and it was delicious! although rather expensive.